Every day I think of things to put in this blog, but then I think about all of the things that I need to catch everyone up on and I post nothing!
So, a quick update to catch up:
* At the end of December we were asked to take an International assignment for the LDS church. We moved to the Dominican Republic on February 16th and are still trying to unpack!
* Kevin's new job title is Area Physical Facilities Manager. He is over all planning, construction and maintenance of the church buildings, temple, CES buildings, mission homes, etc for the Caribbean area. He is gone a lot. (Insert sad crying sounds here)
* The girls are attending an international school here in the DR. It is called Carol Morgan School and you can google it if you are interested in finding out more about it. Classes are taught in English, although you hear an awful lot of Spanish being spoken everywhere! The girls take SSL (Spanish as a Second Language) as well as their other classes. The school is about 90% Dominican and 10% kids from other countries. They have friends who are Korean, South African, German, Iranian, and from other countries that I can't think of right now. It is a lot of fun, althought they miss their Utah friends terribly!
* I spend my day trying to not get killed when I drive everyone around (We have just one car here). The driving is insane. I also spend all day trying to buy groceries. And sometimes I watch Ellen when I can find it on the cable.
* Yes, we live by the ocean. However, it takes a minimum of 45 minutes to get to a decent beach. The good beaches are two hours away and some European ladies like to sunbathe there.....if you get my drift. You can see the Caribean Sea from my windows, but since Santo Domingo is a port town there are no beaches. Just waves crashing onto cliffs. Two weeks ago we were walking along the Malecon (road by the ocean) and we watched three kids climb down the cliff and go harpoon fishing. It was kind of scary.....attention kids, don't do this at home.......is the information that I wanted to make sure the girls got as they watched them climbing down!
* We live in an apartment building now in the middle of the city. A big change for this country girl. I am getting used to all the noises and to riding in an elevator. Love the pool, gym and tennis courts but really miss gardening and my beautiful yard. I just hope that some of you are enjoying my fabulous tulips since I can't enjoy them this year.......
* My saddest thing is selling our lovely home in Syracuse and knowing that we now no longer have a permanent place to call home. We have had 2 offers, one ridiculous and one waiting on a counter-offer, on the house and it will be sold to the relocation company on the 15th of May if no other offers are accepted before then. I am really missing all of my friends and the fabulous support that I had in Utah. Don't forget us just because we moved!
So, my goal is to share some of the fun, weird and interesting things that happen to us here with you. Remember that we are just a phone call away! (801)776-9323