Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Scripture Study


When we went to Stake Conference one of the Stake Presidency asked the members of the stake to read the Book of Mormon. I didn't understand everything that they said, but at the end of the conference they handed out charts to track your reading, where you color in one block for each chapter that you read.

I decided that we needed all of the blessings that we could get, so for FHE this week we talked about personal scripture study, read an article from Elder Bednar in The Friend about how to get the most out of your scripture study, read an article from The Ensign about scripture study and then made some goals. We broke the chapters in the Book of Mormon into 20 chapter segments and then decided upon rewards that the girls could earn. They were things like a candy bar, a pack of gum, and when they finish, a dinner date with mom and dad. The rewards were every 20 chapters for the first 100 chapters, every 25 chapters for the second 100 chapters and then just one reward for the final 37 chapters. We taped the charts up on the wall in the kitchen so that the girls can fill them in when they finish a chapter.
You have never seen such scripture reading in your life. Kaitlin got the first prize (as she had been reading for Seminary) and now Kambrielle is determined to be the next one to earn it. She is allready on chapter 11, after only three days. Mom is the one currently in last place!!! Kambrielle has declined watching Dancing with the Stars with us the last two nights and decided to read scriptures instead. She has fallen asleep with her Book of Mormon on her face for the last two nights!
Today I went to the Distribution center and went a little crazy for Spanish items. I got the CD's for the car of the Primary children's songbook, then I got pocket size hymn books for everyone in the family (there are never enough hymn books in the chapel), Spanish triple combinations and the new Spanish bible. I also ordered a subscription to the Liahona, so that I can read the Ensign in English and then practice my Spanish with the Liahona. Hopefully I can have a moment like Elder Groberg, in the movie The Other Side of Heaven, where he learns the language by using the scriptures........hey, it could happen!
-Kim
What have you done with your family to encourage individual scripture study?

13 comments:

grandma w. said...

You rock Kim!!! Way to go. I love it that you are doing that.

Also in the Spanish class we are taking from a gal in our branch, she has us practice in the Book of Mormon also, (for the pronunciation.) I am definitely not a natural cause I can't roll my r's. But she says that is not a requirement.

just a random genius said...

Seems like someone on my mission told me that they heard a general authority say once that a good way to learn a language is to read the Book of Mormon in that language. I've always wanted to try that. Haven't got around to it yet. I think your Ensign/Liahona idea is a great one. Good luck!

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

Way to go Kim! That sounds like some awesome motivation for your kids - way to go Kambrielle! :)

whiting family said...

I don't know how anyone can roll their r's. Our friends the Munive's son Alex loves to roll his r's and then laugh at us when we try. The only one of us who can do it is Kambrielle. Maybe it is a skill that must be learned young.

PS. Kami has beenup since 6:30 this morning reading her scriptures. She is determined to get her candy bar today. She keeps coming to me and asking how to pronounce words like "temporal" and "salvation". Not bad for a 7 year old!

Jenn said...

Great ideas!! I love them. I have been trying to come up with a way to encourage our kids to do something similar. I'm copying you right now! (hope it's okay!) :)

whiting family said...

Jenn:
Please copy! Let's help each other out any way that we can! You are the queen of fun moms, so if you want to copy me I take it as a great compliment! We let the kids come up with the incentives, within a certain price range. They chose candy bars, gum, bottles of soda, a trip to the accessory depot, a frosty at wendys, an ice cream at Baskin Robbins, etc. You have the advantage of having a dollar store nearby to help with. The ice creams came after reaching 100 chapter milestones.
You can google search book of mormon reading chart and find some there, since you don't have the spanish one that we got.

Nurse Heidi said...

You win a gold star! Scripture study is one area that we fall very, very behind on in our home...each year I have the best of intentions, but so far those intentions haven't gotten me very far :P.

Jenn said...

So I wanted to tell you what we started to get them motivated to read scriptures at our house. We recently started paying "Dad Dollars" for chores and other things that are done around the house. They get to spend their Dad Dollars on things like Wii, movie nights, and family game nights. I have added scriptures study as something they can earn a point for towards their dad dollars. Now I get to take it a step further with charts and treats every so often to keep them motivated. Thanks again for your great ideas and motivation that it can be done! :) Love you!

The Taylor Family said...

Kim, please email me your address, Kayla has a letter for Kayli that she's been dying to send. Thanx
Amy
scamyott@yahoo.com

Anna said...

Kim, I have sorely neglected reading your blog the last few months. So, as I read through, I was inspired, amused (laughing out loud at 6:00am is NOT the way to keep my children sleeping), and in awe of your attitude about stuff I am sure I would complain about. You amaze me!

Kikigirl said...

Hey - their address is:

Caribbean Area Pouch
50 E North Temple
SLC, UT 84150

(pretty sure)

Kikigirl said...

Oh - PS, Mom, it's time to update again! :)

whiting family said...

Thanks for all of your kind comments. So glad that we could inspire in a good way...... that is not how we normally inspire people!
Anna- you are my hero. Really. Truly. You are in my thoughts and prayers all the time! I am sure that you would not complain about the little things that I go through, when I know the large trials that you go through. I love you and hope that all will be well soon. Please call me some day when you have a chance to chat.