Thursday, July 2, 2009

I can have it my way......right?




We Americans are spoiled. Yes, you say, we are...... but I want to tell you how spoiled we are. Really, Really, Really spoiled. I didn't understand how spoiled until moving here.

One of my favorite things to do in Syracuse, on the drive home from the gym, was to drive thru the gas station (yes, I didn't even have to get out of my car!) and pick up a 44 ounce diet coke (caffeine free, even, since it was Utah!) for only 89 cents. This would get me happily thru the day. Throw in some of their 99 cent tater babies with the free dipping sauce and life was really good. Love that carbonation and crunchy ice. Ummmm, I am drooling just thinking about it.

Fast forward to the DR and here you get teeny tiny drinks with your meals. I am talking Happy Meal size for this 44 ounce girl. And don't even suggest asking for no ice so that you get more drink.....no way. AND (gasp here) no refills. Really. No where. So, when you finish those fries, which were given to you with one small ketchup packet that you had to beg for, and your throat is parched because it is like 90 degrees with 95% humidity it is just too bad for you.

Imagine our excitement when we found a new Burger King a few weeks ago that has a drink machine in the dining room, instead of under lock and key back with the employees. We saw stars and exploding fireworks! The excitement!!! The possibilities!!! Needless to say we were excited to try it out. (insert here kids home from school.....mom can we go? mom can we go? mom can we go? Get the picture?)

Today the fumigator came to kill the disgusting bugs that like to live in my apartment and so I saw a perfect opportunity. We have to vacate for awhile after he is done spraying the toxic fumes and so we went to Burger King where there is not only a drink machine, but also a play land. Could life get any better?

The kiddos ordered their combos and when the food was ready Kambrielle was inspecting her hamburger to make sure no disgusting things were lurking there. It had just ketchup on it and so I thought things would be fine.
" There are no pickles here" she said with an interesting face.

So, I trooped up to the front and tried to remember how to say pickles in Spanish to get the mishap resolved. When I told the "server" that we were missing the pickles the following conversation ensued:
" I am just missing the pickles on this hamburger"
" They don't come with pickles."
" Yes they do."
"No, they don't"
"Yes, they do."
" No, they don't"
"Look at the picture. There are pickles there." (pointing to the kids meal picture over her head)
"No there aren't"
"Yes, a hamburger comes with ketchup, mustard, and pickles. I just need the pickles"
"There are no pickles on it"
From the lady standing in line next to me....."Yes, there are pickles on the picture."
" It doesn't come with pickles"

"PLEASE, just give me the pickles"

At this point the huffy lady hands the burger to another worker, who takes it back to talk to another worker, who points to it and then talks to another worker, who nods in agreement. (I am watching this all carefully to make sure no "extra" liquids end up on Kami's burger) Finally the third worker takes out three pickle slices, places two on top of the hamburger, vascillates for a moment about whether to "throw in" the third pickle, decides not to and puts it back and rewraps the burger and brings it back to me. All the while I have a smile pasted on my face, so that they don't think that I am an "ugly American".

Remember, this is all at Burger King, where the motto is "Have it your way"

5 comments:

Jenn said...

How funny! Yes we definitely are spoiled. I agree that a smaller drink is just not enough. I thought it was just me! Glad to know there's another guzzler out there. :)

Have heard the story about the man who went through the Carl's Jr drive thru and ordered a burger and brought it back inside because he said it didn't look like the picture at all. So they made him another one and he said, "It still doesn't look just like that picture." (You know how they make it look way better on tv and it comes out all flat and such?) I don't think this is where you or Kami were going, I think you just wanted your pickle! :)

Hf said...

just not right! what is up with customer service? And I miss that drive thru too. You would think other sates could come up with such a wonferful idea as a drivethru window at the gas station.

Yay for play areas! How is it Syracuse with all 25000 people has 2 and Vegas with 2 million people I think only has 2. And not one within 10 miles of our house, yes I measured the closest one :)

just a random genius said...

When I was in England I noticed how difficult it was to find big drinks also. When I was all hot and parched, all I could find were hot coffee and tea or expensive bottled drinks. I only went in one fast food joint while I was there, KFC, and if I remember right, they had big drinks there. Anywho, yes, we Americans are spoiled.

MelRol said...

Hi Kim!
I was so excited to see your comment on my blog, I didn't know you guys were bloggers. We stayed at the Paradisus Palma Real. I'm sorry we didn't think of contacting you. Our hotel was really nice in Punta Cana, but I wouldn't go there for the horseback riding. To get to the horses we basically rode in the back of a truck with ten other people for 35 minutes each way through bumpy potholes (I'm sure you're very familiar with the crazy roads), Spencer was getting motion sickness from the ride. Once we got to the ranch it was really fun with the horses, but the transportation they provided was not great. Everything else at the resort was totally amazing, so I would still recommend the hotel.

I'm so happy to find your blog and hear the fun and challenges you guys are having. Say hi to your girls for me. Melanie

Nurse Heidi said...

This is so very much a Kim story. I can totally see it all...hilarious! Apparently, the small drink thing is also a big deal in Europe. There's no such thing as getting free tap water with your meals, either.