Monday, November 22, 2010

Really Random

Yesterday Kami was hugging me as we waited for the elevator to come up to our floor. She squeezed me really tight and said, "I am glad you are chubby. It is nice to hug chubby people."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two weeks ago I was riding in a taxi home from the temple. We have only one car and Kevin needed it and so I was using public transportation. I was having a chat with the guy driving when he needed to swerve to miss a pothole. I asked him...(conversation translated from the original Spanish)

me: "What do you call those holes in the road?"

him: "Holes in the road?"

me: "Yeah...you know, the holes that we get after a big rain."

him: "holes"

me: "You don't have a special name for them? In English we call them potholes"

him: without a pause "Maldito hoyos" (translation... d*#* holes)


They have really amazing potholes here. They are everywhere after a big rain, which translates to all the time. People in Utah complain about the road conditions there, but they have nothing on the roads here. When you are driving down the street you are constantly swerving around these potholes. It feels like living in a video game.


Once I was in the Colonial Zone with Elder Coleman's daughters. They were visiting and wanted to do some souvenir shopping. Since the Coleman's were busy with an assignment I volunteered to take them. We got a bit lost coming back (lots of one way streets that are wide enough for one car only) and so were coming back up a street I don't normally go on, when there was a big pothole in the road. I am talking huge! This hole had one of those blue plastic water barrels in it, and then another water barrel stacked on top of it that was 1/2 way in.....so this hole was 1 1/2 barrels deep! I barely squeezed the van by and the ladies started yelling for me to back up so they could get a picture! No way! We barely made it by the first time.


Wish I had the picture though!

~Kim

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Wow! Don't you love it when your kids say "great" things like that? I had a kid in Primary tell me that my arms were "fluffy".

I like your attitude towards all the chaos in that country, even in the little things. Crazy stuff!

Jen B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen B said...

I'm sure that left you feeling all warm and fuzzy!;-) my kids are great about boosting my self-esteem.

grandma w. said...

I think we should start a new thread of "Kids Say the Darnest Things!" It would be great for a good laugh when we just want to cry!! Makes it all worth while.